sewage treatment solutions
Why Is There Sewage Smell In My House?
It’s essential to take care of these sewage smells as soon as possible as sewer gas odors can be dangerous for your health and may result in health issues: fatigue, dizziness and respiratory problems.
That’s why, when you notice foul odors, we always recommend you get expert help!
Sewage smell in house? First, determining where the odour is coming from can be difficult. In this article, we are going to explain to you how to check and tackle issues that often cause a sewage smell in-house.
Sewage smell in house?
Your sewage treatment system is not working properly
A sewage smell in-house is usually a sign that your sewage treatment system has been damaged or has not received proper maintenance. Some of the following causes might be responsible and are worth checking first:
- P-trap: the drains of your toilets, shower, all have a P-trap (a curved part of pipe) that holds water. It creates a natural barrier that prevents sewage gas from entering your house. If the traps are drying out or damaged in some way, it will let the gas leak into your home.
- Plumbing vent: a sewage smell can fill your house if the vents freeze due to a temperature drop, or if a buildup of leaves clogs the pipes. Foul odors can also result from a crack in the vents. If this is the case, you will need a professional to pinpoint the vent leak and have it repaired. The damage is identified by a process which includes blowing smoke into your vent pipes to locate the leak.
- Toilet seal: if your toilet wax ring is not sealed correctly or begins to deteriorate, you may notice a sewage smell in in-house.
How to take care of a sewage smell in-house (within the home)?
As outlined above, it can be quite challenging to pinpoint the source of a sewage smell when it begins to permeate your home and very difficult to fix the problem without professional assistance. That is why we advise you to contact an expert and let them run a diagnosis to identify and fix the potential issue(s). In order to check for the problems outlined above, a professional will examine:
- P-trap: determining if it needs to be poured with water or changed.
- Plumbing vent: ensuring that the vents are not damaged and nothing is clogging them.
- Toilet seal: inspecting it and ensuring it is not compromised or leaking.
A professional service provider can also conduct a full assessment of your sewage treatment system: looking for any leaks, problematic drainage field, blocked sewage pipes, and other issues related to poor installation or maintenance.
We highly recommend you regularly schedule service appointments and ensure the repair of any damaged system as quickly as possible to avoid any issues with your domestic sewage.
At Tricel, we produce a range of high-quality sewage treatment plants that require low maintenance and are incredibly durable and reliable. If you have any questions regarding our products, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Need advice? Discuss your project with us today
Request a quote for a septic tank or sewage treatment plant
Strong, durable, low profile shallow dig tanks
UK manufactured ensuring short lead time
Our products are certified to EN12566-1 and EN12566-3
Get in touch
Tricel Environment UK
A trading brand of Dewey Waters Ltd.
Heritage Works, Winterstoke Road, Weston-super-Mare, BS24 9AN, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 (0)1934 422 311